Wednesday, March 3, 2010

hello again....

There are some weeks I simply don't feel like taking the time to update my blog. The past few weeks were those kind of weeks. Quite a bit has happened in that time, so I will review in pictures:

First, it was winter break for our friends in Providence, RI who came up for a visit for two days...and we made yummy cupcakes (I made them a liiiiittle bit different...but this blog has the basics of the recipe I used. It's kinda hard for them NOT to be scrumptious!):


Amidst most of the past two weeks there were...the Olympics. I love, love, love watching exceptional athletes from around the world come together and compete during two weeks every two years. These athletes are SO MUCH more worthy of awards, adulation and respect than the "paparazzi fluff" out there. I can not imagine being that dedicated and having that much competitive spirit to train like these athletes train -- not to mention the dedication of the parents. I think everything about a true athlete is honorable and admirable. I don't happen to be anything close to an athletic sorta gal (I stink at every sport, but I'll try anything!), but I sure have an appreciation for those who are!

Being a graphic designer, I must mention the gorgeous graphics of this Olympics...I mean seriously -- the graphics of the Vancouver Olympics 2010 were spectacular. So consistent and well branded -- and so very beautiful (the mascot thingy must have been designed way before the rest of the graphics and by another designer because it was NOT consistent or beautiful...and stuck out like a sore thumb).




Then...I got sick. Oh boy did I get sick. I honestly and truly don't remember being as sick as I was for two whole days during my lil boy's winter break. I was nauseous, I had NO energy (like...NONE), my eyes wouldn't stop watering and they were puffy and red, my entire head felt like it was going to blow up with all the pounds and pounds of gunk that I kept having to blow outta my nose. I went through about 3 boxes of kleenex. It was disgusting.

(my boy made an adorable "I LOVE YOU" note that fell into the garbage beside my bed -- since I was fairly constantly IN bed...and I didn't realize it was there when I took the pic)
I truly don't remember the last time I was that sick. Mr. Incredible kept telling me I looked like hell warmed over -- and I truly did. He had every right to say it because that is how I looked -- and felt. I couldn't do anything or go anywhere and meanwhile kindergarten was off that week for winter break so my poor kidlings had to keep themselves busy those two days -- and they were un-freaking-believably good. I was beyond proud of them. My boy was the best big bro any sis ever had.

Then came the "Snowicane 2010". Wow. That was soooome storm, lemme tell you. I thought it was going to blow our roof off -- and it turns out.... it did:

There were shingles EVERYWHERE in our yard. I picked them all up -- I felt like Dorothy after the tornado...except I wasn't following any yellow brick road er nuthin':

I can't tell you how many times I had tried to open this gate this winter, but it was blocked by frozen ground -- even my full weight couldn't push it open. Apparently the Snowicane had no problem opening it (note the indentation in the ground):

Our back yard was an absolute mess (debris, toys and shingles everywhere -- although it's hard to tell what's what in this picture) and the top of the play set was blown off:

Our entire bbq grill was moved (do you know how heavy that thing is??), the cover was completely blown off and part of the bbq itself was blown off:


And, of course, our power went out during the storm. Our power goes out almost every single storm. That's why Mr. Incredible finally bought a generator. Thank goodness. This time it was out from Thursday night (night of the storm) to Monday night...or, well, I think it was Sunday night, but I had no clue it came back on until I noticed a neighbor say on Facebook that her power was on. I am always the last to know..... Meanwhile, Mr. Incredible was out of town for business and I had to lug around two jugs of gasoline to fill the dang generator. Gas spills. Gas is stinky. So I was stinky. Yuck. And the power was back on and I didn't even know it. Good times.

So there you have it. There are a few other things that I was able to accomplish these past couple weeks, but I'll save those for another blog update. I have been extremely industrious and crafty these past few months! It has been so much fun! Why the heck couldn't I get this motivated when I wasn't preggers???? Who knows......

But I do know my current intense motivation is the knowledge that oh so soon ALL of my time will be taken up by feeding two wee babes and changing diapers and burping and soothing and cooing and watching them grow... and learn... and cry... and laugh....

2 comments:

Jessica S. said...

You also taught an awesome RS lesson :-)

Jann said...

THANK YOU! You have inspired me to try & make the cupcakes next week. They look truly DELISH!!!

I agree 100% on the Vancouver graphics. Sadly, from what I have seen thus far, London has not been working with quite as sophisticated a designer. Thankfully, they still got time to make some changes!