Thursday, January 14, 2010

another first....

Well, we finally had our first trip to the emergency room for stitches.


Ironically enough, I had my first stitches when I was almost four years old from a sledding accident. Mine were on my chin, hers are in her nose. She had just two, I had quite a bit more, but I don't remember how many.

She was sledding on our little hill in our back yard with her brother and his friend. They were having a grand ole time. Then Soren came running inside yelling, "MOMMY! Anna Clara is bleeding! Her face is bleeding!!" I went outside to check out the situation and sure enough, her face was covered in blood and dripping all over her jacket. After cleaning it off, I could see it was deep and probably needed a stitch, but it was probably ok. I called my mom (who was a nurse) and she thought it would probably be ok to go without stitches. Then Mr. Incredible came home and, after checking it out, said we should take her to the emergency room. When he was young, he had cut his chin (exactly the same place where I cut my chin!) and his dad ignored it and he now has a fairly large scar (and my scar is hardly noticeable)... We didn't want to take any chances, so he took her to the emergency room while I stayed home with my boy.

They were gone about two hours and she was an absolute trooper -- which was actually surprising to me. That girl surprises me on a daily basis. As difficult as she can be, she often surprises me with how good, and easy, she actually can be!

Here she is showing off her new "bracelets"....

I'm so grateful that, so far at least, two stitches is the worst I've had to deal with in my almost 6 years of raising my children. Every day I am grateful for the health and safety of my children.

How lucky am I to live in a country with such exceptional infrastructure and health care and military and generosity and...and...and.... I can't help but think about these things when I see what has happened in Haiti. Having traveled around the world and lived in various countries, I know, first hand, how extremely lucky we Americans are. As far as I can tell, not enough Americans realize just how lucky they are to simply live in this great country.

No comments: