Monday, May 7, 2012

spring is springing

Mr. Incredible is again in his element and creating beauty all around our home....



He was NOT happy when he discovered a deer had invaded his precious tulip display he was so looking forward to. He had planted them with Anna Clara last fall and he was very excited about them as he had proudly told me, "we're going to have a looooot of tulips out front this year!"

But, unfortunately one morning he walked into the kitchen extremely dejected and angry and said the deer had eaten all the tulips. I couldn't believe it...but, alas, it was true.... They ate them all up before we could even get a glimpse of their glorious spring beauty. The distinct hoof prints gave them away. Dang deer.

The other smaller circle with daffodils fared a bit better....

I never took a picture with all the daffodils in full bloom, but you get the idea.


A few tulips did escape the deer's destruction.

The deer never made it over to the mailbox, so those tulips were untouched and our mailwoman must love all of their welcoming bright petals.

Every year, my farm boy simply must add to the garden...whether it's more space to grow more food, another type of food (a couple years ago he planted 900 mushrooms...long story....but it was QUITE the ordeal to plant them, lemme tell you) or, like this year, a new home for the wildlife. He bought himself a big ole Purple Martin treehouse. I had never heard of such a thing, but my farm boy got it in his head to have one, so, well, now we do. And I absolutely love seeing it right outside my kitchen window. Now we just have to hope some Martins choose it for their home.

 The house has to be a minimum of 10-15 feet high and 40 feet from the house and trees.
Have a happy spring everyone!

3 comments:

Gabe said...

I am SO impressed. As always. And are those grape hyacinths I see??? Those are in my top 5 favorite flavors. Precious, small, but ooooooh so fragrant. I love 'em!

Pedaling said...

Look at how incredibly beautiful it is where you live. The east calls my name...it's like a fantasy I live in my head, for some reason. All the green and the dense trees....yummy!

The deer do like tulips---we had that problem here too. Even after they bloom like in your pictures...beware, they will come up and just bite off the flower bloom and leave the green stem behind. It's maddening. I've heard of people putting bars of soap and other things (can't remember what) around their tulips that have a smell that the deer do not like. Might be worth googling.

Love your country boy and all his hard work!
So beautiful!

Mushrooms, hu?

calibosmom said...

Sooo lovely! I think Jim should start a garden blog. I need his tips and tricks!