Sunday, February 10, 2013

my joy


13 years ago I needed a dog. I mean I reeeeeally needed a dog. I was going through the toughest time in my life, so far, dealing with so many things on my own. Totally on my own. So I got a dog so I wouldn't be completely alone. I named her "JoiVie" from "Joie de Vivre" -- "Joy of Life". I needed some joy. She brought me more joy than I ever thought possible from a four-legged friend. She lived up to her name in every way, for every single one of those 13 years of her life.

This was taken on her first birthday in my office.
The earliest photos I have access to right now.

I don't have any digital pictures of her as a puppy (and I packed all my photo prints) because she came into my life before digital photos and cameras, Snapfish, blogs, iPhones, iPads, Facebook, Instagram; before Mr. Incredible, four bundles of joy, and the two most important roles of my life -- that of a wife and mother. She was my very first baby, she was totally and completely MY baby...she rarely left my side as she went to work with me, traveled to NYC with me, went on vacations with me...yes, I am one of "those" kind of dog lovers. I considered her to be a kindred spirit, a best friend, the love and joy of my life. To non-dog owners, this sounds a bit much. I don't care. To be able to have such a connection with another species besides a human is a gift and something as difficult to explain as love itself.

She was a part of me and has been, and always will be, a huge part of my heart. My last act of love to her was to put her to sleep upon discovering she had bone cancer -- before it became too painful. She was 13 and a half and had lived a full, healthy, happy life...no need to end it in unnecessary pain. It was an excruciatingly difficult decision to make, but there wasn't a doubt in my mind it needed to be done for her sake. I couldn't bear to have her be in pain when I knew I could give her a chance to die peacefully. And with our sweet connection, I knew she loved me for it...and for that I am oh so grateful.

My first two babies with my babe of a husband.
Soren, 1 year old; JoiVie, 4 years old
Anna Clara, 1 year old; JoiVie, 6 years old
One of my very favorite pictures of my first three babies -- who always played so nicely together.
Anna Clara was ALWAYS playing with her and for her. She called her "BA-bm"...how she came up with that name, I will never know...
She was never far from the action.
She loooved playing with rocks!!!
The most patient pup in the entire world.
And the most loving.
She loved "reading" to her pup.
She was as crazy about snow as her momma.
Four-legged Packer Backer.

She was by my side throughout every pregnancy.


He sat with her and cried the day after we discovered her cancer.
She sat with her as well...but saved her tears for the day she passed, when she couldn't stop crying.

It snowed on her last day so she could enjoy it for the last time.
And she enjoyed every minute of it.
Her all-time favorite pastime -- catching snowballs.
Saying goodbye before getting on the bus. She watched them get on the bus every day.

 JoiVie
08/16/99 - 02/06/13


"The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life."

I am grateful to have had her to love as much and as long as I did.

6 comments:

Pedaling said...

You lost a family member.
We lost our Abby who was 16- super old for a lab mix.
I know just how it feels. She was dragging her back legs and when it got to the point that she could no longer get up, I carried her in to the vet.
One of the hardest things ever.
We all cried.
We still have Kota- and we love Kota.
She probably needs a little friend- but I think we will just have to settle for her friends, for now.
Golden Retrievers are so incredibly sweet. I know JoiVie will be missed and forever remembered.
Your pictures are precious!

Anonymous said...

This killed me - I am crying! Therese

namaste said...

wow. this is such a beautiful tribute post. i'm sorry for your loss. we have a lab and a jack russell. your post will make me go home and hug them extra hard. and i LOVE all your pictures of joivie. such great shots.

sweet sweet SWEET post! :)

calibosmom said...

Such a sweet and lovely doggie. She'll be the first one to greet you on the other side. xoxo

Duy nguyen said...

What a touching tribute! She will be missed greatly, but Lambeau will take care of you guys...after YOU clean up the pees and poops.

The Mom said...

How beautiful to have such a love in your life. She was such a kind, beautiful, loving dog. I well understand not making a loved animal live in pain. I have had to make this choice way too many times. I have always gone with them to the vets, been with them when put down, then brought them home to bury them. There was some healing in doing that for them and me. (we have lived where you could do that) Love you and yours Fran