Wednesday, May 12, 2010

the waiting week

So...I thought this week would go fast. But, it hasn't. It feels like one of the slowest weeks I've had in a reeeeeally long time. Being totally and completely uncomfortable, practically immobile, constantly nauseous and with a horrid sinus headache all day, every day, will do that to a week. I can't believe how hard these last few days of pregnancy have been. I am writing this not to be whiny -- yet again -- but to remember. This blog is my journal and I want to remember feeling like this when I am sleep-deprived and overwhelmed with two infants and two toddlers. I want to remember how MUCH I want these two babies in my arms -- whether they are sleeping, eating or crying. I just want them in my arms and I want to look down at them and feel that complete bliss and joy that a momma feels to the core when she looks at her babies.

I am so utterly grateful to my doctor for scheduling me to be induced I feel like waddling through a store to look for a perfect gift for her -- but I know I won't find one. Partly because I will be so preoccupied with how uncomfortable I am waddling through the store with people staring at me wondering when I'm going to pop, and partly because there simply won't be a gift worthy of what she has done for me. I am quite aware of how overly dramatic I am being right now. What I am experiencing is absolutely NOTHING compared to someone who has cancer or is paralyzed from an accident or dealing with any number of worse things to be dealing with (and there are PLENTY). But, I just need to remember this when I am dealing with what every parent of twins has told me I am about to experience...which apparently is something so difficult that "only a parent of twins can fully understand how much so". Right now, I am beyond excited to begin my journey into that experience -- but in a few weeks, that may not be the case. Who knows. Maybe it won't be as bad as people have told me it will be. Maybe it will be worse. All I know for sure is that I will soon find out for myself...and I feel VERY VERY lucky to be able to have that experience. Through all of this whining and complaining, I have never lost sight of how lucky I am to be pregnant with two healthy babies...and I can never repeat that enough. I am lucky, lucky, lucky.

Anyway...to keep my mind off my complaints and to make the time go by today, I made these:

Afterall, what better treat to come home to after school than homemade oreos 'n milk??

Homemade Oreo Cookies
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (spooned and leveled)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg
1. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In another bowl, stir together butter, sugar, and egg. Add flour mixture, and stir until a dough forms.
2. Divide dough in half; roll out between two sheets of parchment paper to a 1/4-inch thickness. Stack on a baking sheet, and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place on sheets, 1 inch apart. Bake until cookies are firm and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool.
4. Spread half the cookies with 1 tablespoon Cream Filling; top with remaining cookies. (To store, refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 5 days.)

Cream Filling
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and granulated sugar, beating until combined. Beat in vanilla extract.

3 comments:

calibosmom said...

Hang in there baby cakes!!! Friday is coming!!! Those cookies look oh so yummy. I get butterflies every time I think about you and what you are about to take on. What an adventure! I'm on standby whenever you need me.

Jessa said...

Be strong, girlie!
You can do it!
The end result is WELL worth it!
Motherhood is a wonderful, beautiful thing..... after labor! ;)
Good luck tomorrow and I, too am available should your family need anything! :)

The Mom said...

I love reading about you and your family! It is the 14th in Australia so you have another day. Our daughter Amy had twins 6 years ago and you sound just like her before their birth. It was hard the first 6 mos to a year. She had lots of help the first 3 mos. The girls are a joy. They are as different as night and day. But joys. Love to you. Sister Doney