Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11

I just had to post on 11-11-11. How many days do I get to write/see that date on, well, anything? One day and only one day. The 2000s have been fun that way -- with every year bringing a similar type of date -- and, as my boy pointed out, we only have one more year to have that because "we can't have a 13-13-13!". My lil girl was born on 04-05-06....which is so perfect for a forgetful brain like mine. I am grateful that at least one in 3 birthdays is easy to remember!!

Anyway, today just happens to be Veteran's Day as well and I need to pay some respect to our men and women defending our freedom every single day -- both in the past and the present. Every night in November my family says what we are thankful for at dinner (and I may continue beyond November...but recently I've heard about a few people who do this in the month of Thanksgiving and I thought it was an excellent idea, so I copied) and last night my 2nd grader said, "I'm thankful for our soldiers."

Me: "Why?" (they always have to explain why they are thankful for what they are thankful for...I like to dig a bit deeper....)

He: "Because they keep us safe."


His class talked about D-Day this week and he was so excited because he had been "on the beaches where we fought the nazis" this past summer. I was so happy he had retained at least some of the history lesson from our trip abroad. I am also happy he remembers to be thankful to so many people so worthy of our thanks. Every day.

And while we are on that subject, I would like to share a segment from my very favorite show on tv (ok...besides "ellen" and "Modern Family"...but it's right up there!), CBS Sunday Morning. This past Sunday they did a few tribute segments to Andy Rooney. Andy Rooney's D-Day description depicts so succinctly what my family learned about our brave soldiers on D-Day, "one of the most monumentally unselfish things one group of people did for another," that I can't help but share it with you on this Veteran's Day, 11-11-11.

Thank you soldiers and families of soldiers. Every one of you.

1 comment:

Shannon Gish said...

Thank you for that video! And I think I will copy you on the dinner activity during Thanksgiving. btw: afterwatching the video, it made me think of Mark Camphouse's Symphonic Prelude, The Cemetary at Collesville Sur Mer. Having stood there yourself in Normandy, I thought you would appreciate it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYvjGEhm5c